Timeplot has graduated!
The Timeplot project has graduated and moved on with its life.
Visit the new home page for more information on how to join
the new mailing lists, synch with the new code repositories, issue tracking, etc. Please excuse our mess during the transition.
Timeplot is a DHTML-based AJAXy widget for plotting time series and overlay
time-based events over them (with the same data formats that Timeline supports).
Here is a live example:
New Legal Permanent Residents in the U.S. (per year) vs. U.S. Population vs. U.S. History
Just like Timeline or Google Maps, Timeplot can be used with zero software installation,
server-side or client-side. You can populate Timeplot with data by pointing it to an
space or comma separated file (here is one of the data file for
the timeplot above). Timeplot also supports Timeline's XML format, meaning that you can
reuse the same data file of your Timeline and overlay them over a time series plot
(here is the event file for the timeplot above).
- Energy Prices in the U.S. since 1975: this timeplot shows how the cost of gasoline in the US is strongly correlated with oil import from foreign countries, while the cost of electricity is not as strongly correlated.
- Housing vs. Stock Market in the U.S. since 1975: this timeplot shows the trends of growth for two of the biggest investment sectors in the U.S., housing and the stock market, in relationship with monetary inflation.
- Immigration in the U.S. since 1820: this timeplot shows the amount of people that legally obtained permanent residency in the U.S. over almost 200 years.
- George W. Bush Approval Ratings: this timeplot shows the sampled approval ratings of George W. Bush's job as president of the U.S. over his 2 terms until until today.
- SIMILE Project Statistics: this series of timeplots shows the statistics of the SIMILE project collected by analyzing web server and mail server logs. This example shows how Timeplot is able to post-process the data
to plot things like differences between two columns or the moving average of a time series on the fly.
- Timeline: Timeline is a DHTML-based AJAXy widget
for visualizing time-based events. It is like Google Maps for time-based information.
Timeplot is open source software and is licensed under the
This software was created and maintained by the SIMILE project, in particular: